Long-term Volunteer Opportunities & Signature Programs
The following entries are brief descriptions of the volunteer opportunities available at the LOA. For complete information, please contact us at your convenience or fill out our Volunteer Application.
Meals on Wheels
Deliver a hot, nutritious lunch Monday through Friday to home bound senior citizens. We work with all schedules so you can deliver once per week, once per month or anything in between
Be trained to become an objective volunteer in order to answer questions, in person or over the phone, about long-term care insurance, Medicare supplemental (Medigap) insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, hospital and physician bills or Medicare Advantage Plans.
Matter of Balance Volunteer Leader
Coaches help participants become more confident about managing falls, help to identify ways to reduce falls, and lead exercises to help increase strength and balance.
Senior Food Boxes
The LOA is seeking volunteers to help on the 3rd Tuesday of each month. Volunteers are needed for any of the following functions:
- Volunteers who can be at the LOA office to load boxes into delivery vehicles.
- Volunteers who can take boxes out on a delivery route of 10 – 12 stops.
- In all of these functions, please note that each Senior Food Box weighs 30 pounds.
- Volunteers who can drop off loads of boxes at senior living facilities.
Meals on Wheels Corporate Volunteers
Businesses and Organizations commit to allowing their employees to leave work to deliver Meals-on-Wheels for a set day each week or month. Each business has an in-house coordinator who recruits and schedules employees to deliver on the organization’s assigned day.
Annual Volunteer Events
Soup for Seniors – February
- People at collection sites to check dates and sort the soup as well as work in an assembly line format putting the donated soup and crackers into the bags, getting them ready for delivery.
- People to deliver those bags to the Meals on Wheels sites, Diners Club sites, senior independent living centers, etc. In some cases, we will need volunteers to deliver to the home.
- Volunteers to pick up soup at the drop off locations and bring to our main collection site.
- Volunteers available at the church to assist in unloading the items.
Let’s Give Lunch – June
- Box Folding – Volunteers are tasked with folding the donated flat boxes from PCA that are used for delivery and drive-thru pick-up customers.
- Food Assembly – Volunteers are tasked with assembling the prepared food onto plates in an assembly line format. A few volunteers might be utilized to slice tomatoes or do other minor food prep tasks. NO cooking is involved. Be prepared to stand for the 2-hour shift by wearing comfortable shoes (closed-toe) and comfortable clothing. You will be given an apron, plastic gloves and hairnet when you arrive.
- Delivery – Volunteers are needed to transport boxed lunches to local businesses and organizations that order 5 or more meals. Shifts will vary depending on routes and time that meals are requested for delivery. Vehicles of all types can be used but we could use several volunteers with large vehicles for some of the big orders.
Meals on Wheels Volunteer Luncheon – November
Assist with entertainment, ushering and/or serving food at our annual event in November.
Diner’s Club Christmas Party – December
Fifteen volunteers are needed to collect, sort and package gift items for the annual Diner’s Club Christmas Party. Ten volunteers are also needed to help in hosting the party and helping to serve and clean up after the luncheon meal. Also, individuals or groups who can provide entertainment are always welcome. Each of these three volunteer efforts are all one day in length and usually take place in the second full week of December.
Diner’s Club Presenters
Volunteers are needed to provide educational/informational programs, entertainment, craft activities, etc to our Diner’s Clubs group who meet at various locations and days throughout each week.
Volunteers are needed to put together various mailings that are sent to LOA clients and supporters on an as needed basis.
Your volunteer efforts help us meet our mission of helping older persons remain independent for as long as possible!